Lucky arrived precisely on time, and found that half a doughnut had already been set aside for him.
We hope he knows the difference between doughnut, and a sugary finger!
A bit of morning limbering up then - another pallet of cement is delivered, and put inside, under the kitchen table. Yes! Something wrong with that?
While this drew a lot of spectators, a gang of three split off to put in the edging panels, which will designate the limit of the gravel on the footpath.
We did the Malvern side, and the Cotswolds side was prepared, but still needs finishing.
Those handrails are just the right height, aren't they, John?
After a bit of see-sawing backards and forwards, the right spot was found for the spoil at the southern end of the platform. During the day, this little gang worked foward until it met the already higher section in the middle. The back filling is now pretty much done, but we still need to borrow a roller to compress it a bit.
Check out the now fully back filled platform, and neatly raked slope in the foreground. The slopes will be seeded with grass, thanks to a generous donation from our neighbouring agricultural company.
Lunch today was a sad affair - no Paul, no cooked lunch ! It's at times like these that you realise how you took his hot meals for granted.
Glum faces consumed their own picnics. It just wasn't the same...
Did somebody say tea? Steve gallops back to base in the mini digger, having just completed the landscaping in time for lunch. It's a tight squeeze through all that kit there.
next to the tree on the left)
How's that all going to work then? We were all eager to see how he was going to move it. If you were too, read on!
The bottom of the hut is somewhat moth eaten, and lacks a ring beam, so it's not suitable for lifting. Plan B was to use a friendly brick to take out two window panes, but fortunately this was superceded by plan C, which was Tim and Neal, who put in 4 lifting lugs through the roof.
As you can see, it was a good plan, as the hut duly came off the ground, all in one piece.
Dave P reversed and then set forth forwards down the garden, guided by Steve who manoeuvered the shelter through the narrow gates.
But will it fit my trailer? A tough call, that one, and the answer was, Er - no. Too wide!
The loco dpt. was persuaded to offer up two sleepers, with which we were able to support the bits that stuck out a few inches over the loading gauge. It's a tight fit, mind. Who was at the controls for those millimetre precise liftings?
Tightly secured - not too tightly, mind, don't bend it - the little load started off along the overflow car park field, interupted by a brief pause to see if it wobbled. It didn't, so OK to proceed.
There was some relief nonetheless when it arrived safe and sound at Hayles.
Dave reversed in first, and so doing was able to lift the shelter off the trailer parked at the entrance to the bridleway.
Here it is in situ, in a temporary resting place. We're going to leave it here for a while, so that we can make up the slab on which it will sit, and also so that we can rectify any issues with it (it must be 100 years old at least). One thing we noticed straight away is that the 4 corner posts are of different lengths, it would seem because they were cut down with an angle grinder when it was removed from its original location at Usk.
See you next week !